• Frosty the Snowman provided a chilly break from Florida’s warmer winter weather - Visiting up North was an experience that a Floridian could enjoy, but coming home to warmer weather makes one appreciate Florida. ...
• Women prisoners count their blessings on a tearful Thanksgiving at Lowell Prison - Visits on Thanksgiving were all too short at Lowell Prison where children were asking "Why can't I stay with Mommy?" Columnist Jack Strickland visits at Lowell and writes a riveting story about the emotions of the day as families got together all too briefly. He came away with both a feeling of sadness and of joy. ...
• “Souls to the Polls” march re-enacts history to inspire students at FAMU to vote in the election - FAMU students recreated history on Sunday with a march to the polls to demonstrate the importance of voting and to inspire students to vote in the national election. ...
• Florida women’s prison is nightmare as prisoners endure humiliation, poor medical care, rip-offs - Florida's major prison for women is an endless nightmare for those who have to endure the permanent psychological scarring that results from little privacy, no meaningful rehabilitation, general neglect of medical care by the prisons, and the rip-off of high prices for phone calls and items supplied by private contractors. ...
• Question is whether Adelson family was involved in Markel murder, and motives of the suspects - Questions remain unanswered about release of evidence and possible motives for murder - were suspects trying to extort money from Adelsons? ...
• Small explosion causes chaos at Florida A&M University - An explosion at the FAMU campus Thursday was actually a dishwasher catching fire. However it did cause a scare among faculty, staff and students at the Presidential Dining Hall. ...
• In a surprise appearance, Shaq has a ball inspiring neighborhood kids to dream big - A surprise visit by the former star basketball player to Gainesville and the police department brought out good feelings all around as kids got to play with superstar. ...
• ‘Cash register justice’ for the poor means no justice for many in Florida courts - Prosecutors now seek to extract fees from indigent defendents to help pay office costs, causing possible miscarriage of justice, says national justice center. ...
• If Jeb Bush ever really went to prison in Florida, he wouldn’t get a happy reception - The disaster of corruption, privatized prisons, and loss of competent leadership in state prisons is Jeb Bush’s legacy in Florida. ...
• Court fails to convict police officer in NC shooting death of former FAMU football player - Family pleads for calm as jury fails to find officer guilty in shooting death of Jonathan Ferrell in Charlotte; no decision yet on retrial. ...
• Carson wins best dressed while Trump brings up the rear in the clash of haberdashery at GOP debate - Who was dressed to win the recent GOP debate? Who wore the most stunning tie, and the best cut suit? Looks like neurosurgeon Ben Carson knows how to dress. Donald Trump, who sells a line of clothing, ironically finishes last. ...
• FSU could receive NCAA sanctions similar to those of Penn State sex scandal - Recent events will add up to more problems for Florida State University when NCAA and Title IX investigators report their findings. ...
• Gators end Florida State’s baseball hopes in big wins in Gainesville; on to the Series - Getting back into the College World Series was a dream for both teams, but the Gators managed to teach Florida State a lesson or two. ...
• Miracle of heart transplant puts ‘inoperable’ Rachel, 10, back in the arms of her new family - The dramatic story of how 10-year-old Rachel McCary got her new heart and a new chance to live is told by Jack Strickland who watched closely at the hospital in Gainesville while a miracle was performed. ...
• Colorful veteran George Barnes’ last words were “Don’t give up the ship” - George Barnes found himself an outsider at the end of his life, but he made a difference to a lot of people. He gave and shared compassion, and up to the end, he fought a good fight and found a lot of friendship. ...
|Lowest Gas Prices in Tallahassee|
|Tallahassee - Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com|
» Oscars 2017: Everything you need to know
» What to expect at the 89th Academy Awards
» Oscar predictions: Who will win big?
» How much does it cost to win an Oscar?
» Jimmy Kimmel hopes Matt Damon doesn't get an Oscar
» Razzies announces winners
» Yes we can ... elect Obama president of France?
» Crowds gather as Obama goes on New York coffee run
» Kansas shooting: Widow of Indian man calls for action
» Opinion: How Trump's privilege makes him blind to bigotry
NPR National Headlines
» Trump Will Be First President In 36 Years To Skip White House Correspondents Dinner
» 'The Americans' Showrunners On Writing Cold War-Era Drama Amid New Russian Relations
» Doctor Takes Death Education To High School Classrooms
» Tattoo Artist Covers Up Racist Insignia For Free: 'Enough Hate In This World'
» After White Nationalist Moves Upstairs, Virginia Chocolatiers Get Unexpected Support
» Trump Administration House Bars Major Media Organizations From Latest Press Briefing
» Tom Perez Elected As New DNC Chair
» Lucille Horn, Who Was Nursed To Health In A Coney Island Sideshow, Dies At 96
» WATCH: After Health Scare, Fiona The Baby Hippo Goes For A Dip
» Perez Elected As Chairman Of Democratic National Committee
CNN World Headlines
Gators end Florida State’s baseball hopes in big wins in Gainesville; on to the SeriesJune 10, 2015
By: Jack Strickland
By Jack Strickland
Florida ended Florida State’s 2015 baseball season in Gainesville over the weekend. The two college baseball titans clashed at the NCAA Super Regional. The championship playoff format called for the winner of two out of three games advancing and the loser going home. With the two victories Florida moves on to to the College World Series at Omaha next week.
In regular season play this year the Seminoles prevailed. The teams played games in Tallahassee, Jacksonville, and Gainesville. The Seminoles won at Tallahassee and Jacksonville. The Gators prevailed at Gainesville. Sportscasters expected a hotly contested Super Regional. Both teams have a rich history of College World Series performances. From day one of the regular season the goal of both teams was to get back to the College World Series.
Florida came out of the dugout on fire in both games. Florida State was unable to recover from the Gator offensive barrage that scored multiple Florida runs in the first two innings of both games. The games were not close. Florida won the first game 13-5. Florida State fell 11-4 in the final game.
Legendary FSU baseball coach Mike Martin was a class act as always. He wished the Gators well at the College World Series. He said if Florida can maintain the momentum they generated at the Regional and Super Regional the Gators are a favorite to win the National Championship.
Freshman Gator Catcher J.J.Schwartz has special motivation to want to win a College World Series Championship trophy in Omaha next week. He wants to be like his sister. She won a Women’s College World Series Championship trophy last week in Oklahoma City. His big sister, Taylor Schwartz, plays first base on the Gator softball team that has captured back-to-back national championships.
Both Schwartz siblings played a major role in their team’s spectacular success this year. Against FSU in the Super Regional last weekend, J.J. hit three home runs. At the Women’s College World Series Championship game, last week, Taylor’s outstanding play was a key to the Gators defeat of a great Michigan team to claim the trophy.
Skills at softball and baseball come naturally for the Schwartz kids. They grew up around it. Their father, Jeff Schwartz, is a member of the Miami Marlins staff.
Big sister has some advice for little brother while at the College World Series next week. At game’s end, when you win the national championship, try to stay off the bottom of the celebratory Dog Pile at the pitcher’s mound. Things can get pretty brutal down there as everyone on the team piles on. Little brother knows first hand. He was at the bottom of the pile after the Gators swept Florida state last weekend.
Florida’s opening game at the College World Series will be against Miami.